Home Contents Copyright Links
The Parish of Epworth
 
Parish History | Isle Photographs | Parish Directories | Newspaper Archive | Old Isle Family Photographs | Isle Maps

Axholme History | The Parish of Althorpe | The Parish of Amcotts | The Parish of Belton | The Parish of Crowle | The Parish of Eastoft | The Parish of Epworth | The Parish of Garthorpe | The Parish of Haxey | The Parish of Luddington | The Parish of Owston | The Parish of West Butterwick | The Parish of Wroot


 

 

Epworth is the parish at the centre of the Isle of Axholme. In is considered the capital of the Isle and is a market town with no hamlets, just the areas of  Ellers, Carside and Vine Garth.

Place-name.

Epworth - 1086 Epeurde (Domesday Book)

Eoppa - persons name

worth - enclosure (Old English)

Eoppa + worth = Epworth

Meaning - Enclosure of a man named Eoppa

 

Interpretation of other areas

Carside = at the edge of an overgrown marsh

Vine Garth = an enclosure of grapevines

Ellers = an area of elder trees

Further reading - Mills, A. D. A Dictionary of English Place Names

 

A map of Epworth. Click to see the map on MSN Maps & Directions

 

 


     Back to top



Axholme History | The Parish of Althorpe | The Parish of Amcotts | The Parish of Belton | The Parish of Crowle | The Parish of Eastoft | The Parish of Epworth | The Parish of Garthorpe | The Parish of Haxey | The Parish of Luddington | The Parish of Owston | The Parish of West Butterwick | The Parish of Wroot

Parish History | Isle Photographs | Parish Directories | Newspaper Archive | Old Isle Family Photographs | Isle Maps

Click HERE to ask a question about this web site.
Click HERE to leave comments on the guestbook.
Copyright 2006 - 2012 Michael John Fotheringham. All rights reserved.