Home Contents Copyright Links
The Parish of Owston
 
Parish History | Isle Photographs | Parish Directories | Newspaper Archive | Old Isle Family Photographs | Isle Maps

Axholme History | The Parish of Althorpe | The Parish of Amcotts | The Parish of Belton | The Parish of Crowle | The Parish of Eastoft | The Parish of Epworth | The Parish of Garthorpe | The Parish of Haxey | The Parish of Luddington | The Parish of Owston | The Parish of West Butterwick | The Parish of Wroot


 

 

Owston is a parish in the bottom east of the Isle of Axholme. It is made up of the villages of Owston Ferry and hamlets of Gunthorpe, West Ferry, Heckdyke and Melwood. In 1841 the parish of West Butterwick was created  from part of Owston parish.

Place-name.

Owston - 1086 Ostone (Domesday Book)

austr - To the east of/eastern  (Haxey) (Old Scandinavian)

tun - village, farmstead, estate or manor (Old English)

austr + tun = Owston

Meaning - East farmstead

 

Further reading - Mills, A. D. A Dictionary of English Place Names

 

A map of Owston Ferry. Click to see the map on MSN Maps & Directions

 

 


     Back to top



Axholme History | The Parish of Althorpe | The Parish of Amcotts | The Parish of Belton | The Parish of Crowle | The Parish of Eastoft | The Parish of Epworth | The Parish of Garthorpe | The Parish of Haxey | The Parish of Luddington | The Parish of Owston | The Parish of West Butterwick | The Parish of Wroot

Parish History | Isle Photographs | Parish Directories | Newspaper Archive | Old Isle Family Photographs | Isle Maps

Click HERE to ask a question about this web site.
Click HERE to leave comments on the guestbook.
Copyright 2006 - 2012 Michael John Fotheringham. All rights reserved.