Home Contents Copyright Links
The Parish of West Butterwick
 
Parish History | Isle Photographs | Parish Directories | Newspaper Archive | Old Isle Family Photographs | Isle Maps

Axholme History | The Parish of Althorpe | The Parish of Amcotts | The Parish of Belton | The Parish of Crowle | The Parish of Eastoft | The Parish of Epworth | The Parish of Garthorpe | The Parish of Haxey | The Parish of Luddington | The Parish of Owston | The Parish of West Butterwick | The Parish of Wroot


 

 

West Butterwick is a parish in the east of the Isle of Axholme. In 1841 the parish of West Butterwick was created  from part of Owston parish.

Place-name.

Butterwick - 1086 Butreuuic (Domesday Book)

butere - Butter (Old English)

wic - Dairy farm (Old English)

butere + wick = Butterwick

Meaning - Dairy farm where butter is made

 

Further reading - Mills, A. D. A Dictionary of English Place Names

 

A map of West Butterwick. Click to see the map on MSN Maps & Directions

 

 


     Back to top



Axholme History | The Parish of Althorpe | The Parish of Amcotts | The Parish of Belton | The Parish of Crowle | The Parish of Eastoft | The Parish of Epworth | The Parish of Garthorpe | The Parish of Haxey | The Parish of Luddington | The Parish of Owston | The Parish of West Butterwick | The Parish of Wroot

Parish History | Isle Photographs | Parish Directories | Newspaper Archive | Old Isle Family Photographs | Isle Maps

Click HERE to ask a question about this web site.
Click HERE to leave comments on the guestbook.
Copyright 2006 - 2012 Michael John Fotheringham. All rights reserved.